Monday, August 11, 2014

I say "Fahrvergnügen!"

     Many years ago, I started calling my kids, my little Fahrvergnügen's. (Fahr. Verg! Gnü. Gen I don't know why I did this really, I know I just enjoyed the pronunciation of the word.  So it started with Liv, progressed to Drew and again when I added Hayley and Mackenzie to my family.  They are all my little fahrvergnügen's.

     Some fifteen years later, I cannot remember where I retrieved this term from.  With some hard thinking, I surmised I took it from a television commercial. Nearing the age of thirty-nine with four teen kids and going through premature menopause, I was not quite sure I should trust that recollection or not.  This week, I decided to indulge into some internet researching, not only to prove I can still remember things, but to really find out what the meaning of this word is.  I mean, what if for fifteen years I have been calling my kids something morally wrong? 

     As it turns out my memory is still intact.  Fahrvergnügen is a German word.  That's kind of obvious, not only by the spelling, but also the pronunciation. It is a term used as an advertising slogan used by the German automobile manufacturer Volkswagen in a 1990 U.S. ad campaign, that included a stick figure driving a Volkswagen car.  Now, my first child was not born until 1998, so that commercial was either extremely popular to run that long, or Volkswagen had run out of ideas for almost a decade. 

      One of the tag lines incorporating the word was: "Fahrvergnügen: It's what makes a car a Volkswagen."

 
     The English meaning is:driving enjoyment


 











  It has been incorporated into my daily word use, not always used in the same fashion though.  I use it loosely, actually.  When the kids were small I would use it endearingly, " Oh my precious fahrvergnügen", meaning my little angel.

     As they turned older  "you little Fahrvergnügen" as in, you silly.












Then, "Ahhhhh, you are all Fahrvergnügen's!", meaning you little devils! At some point I moved past the kids and used it in replacement of all kinds of other words.  Maybe I'd make and mistake and mutter, "Well Fahrvergnügen!"  (well shucks!) 
 
  Maybe my husband was aggravating me, "YOU are a Fahrvergnügen" ( a butt )


I would somehow cause myself pain, "Oh Fahrvergnügen!!!!!!!!!!!!"  mmmmmm   hmmmmmmm

 So I say, I am pleased that all of this time I was calling my kids a type of enjoyment. Maybe for future use, I should understand the meaning of word I intend to use out of context.  Just in case.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment