Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Snow Day and Beefy Vegetable Soup!

and maybe some wine!!!


     There is nothing better to do on snow days than stay inside and cook!  I started in the morning using the crock pot, but you can make this just 30 minutes before dinner.  Now realize I cook for a family of six so this recipe fills up a large crock pot to brimming.

Beefy vegetable soup (with a couple of twists)
  • 2 lbs ground beef
  • 2 c. tomato juice
  • 3 c. tomato sauce
  • 3 c. water 
  • 2 beef bouillon cubes
  • 1 small onion
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp all spice/seasoning salt
  • 1/2 tsp black pepper
  • 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1/8 tsp celery salt/seed
  • 1/8 tsp marjoram
  • 1 c. peas
  • 1 c. corn
  • 1 c. green beans
  • 1/2 c. carrots
  • 1/4 c. rice 
  • 1/2 c. mozzarella cheese 
     I have not been  to the grocery store in quite a while since my surgery.  I opted out of the adventure fulling knowing that I would be safer at home than battling the snow storm crazies at the store. 

 There is nothing in my pantry.  Sifting through the contents, wondering what in the world we were going to eat,  I had enough food items to make a soup.


Directions:
  1.  Brown meat in a skillet, then drain fat 
  2. Add onion, garlic and all of the spices to skillet
  3. When onions & garlic are slightly soft, add all to crock pot with 2 bouillon cubes
  4. Add water, tomato juice, tomato sauce, all of the veggies & rice
  5. Stir together, cook on high for 4 hours or low for  hours

     I did not have potatoes, this is why I chose rice, but just enough not to overwhelm the soup.
Before eating, add the mozzarella cheese, stirring to melt.  I only had a mozzarella ball in the frig.  I liked this better than shredded because it had a creamier texture.

     If you have forgotten to decrease the size of this recipe for your family and have lots left over, just freeze up to three months.

     This is a mostly organic meal for us.  We raise our beef and I grow most of our vegetables, which I then freeze or can.

If you are looking for a healthier life style, contact your local farmer for any of these items.  Most individual merchants will not use growth hormones or severe pesticides, etc.  Plus you are helping to support the local "little man.".

     I also made some yummy spicy crackers and apple fritter cake, we'll save those recipes for another snow day!

Now enjoy! 
Instagram
Tumblr

No comments:

Post a Comment